Tuesday 16 October 2007

Makes Me Want to Study Shakespeare!

A little trip down to Folkestone Library and strangely enough I was drawn to a copy of Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar".

In the light of events this year I think it rather an appropriate read.

Antony's speech in Act III, Scene 2 is truly a great one:

"Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
The evil that men do lives after them,
The good is oft interred with their bones;
So let it be with Caesar. The noble Brutus
Hath told you Ceasar was ambitious.
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Caesar answer'd it.
Here under the leave of Brutus and the rest,
- For Brutus is an honourable man;
So are they all, all honourable men -
Come I to speak in Caesar's funeral.
He was my friend, faithful and just to me;
But Brutus says he was ambitious,
And Brutus is an honourable man.
He hath brought many captives home to Rome,
Whose ransom did the general coffers fill:
Did this in Caesar seem ambitious?
When that the poor have cried, Caesar hath wept;
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:
Yet Brutus says he was ambitious,
And Brutus is an honourable man.
You did all see that on the Lupercal
I thrice presented him a kingly crown,
Which he did thrice refuse. Was this ambition?
Yet Brutus says he was ambitious,
And sure he is an honourable man.
I speak not to disprove what Brutus spoke,
But here I am to speak what I do know.
You all did love him once, not without cause;
What cause withholds you then to mourn for him?
O judgement, thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause till it come back to me".

4 comments:

Duncan Borrowman said...

I've already done Shakespeare tonight
http://tinyurl.com/yo9sro

Are you suffering a dose of Deja Vu? Seeing that you raised some concerns about the leadership on your blog a while back and then got censured for it.

Toby Philpott said...

Censured and censored would be more accurate. An interesting contradiction for a party that supports and campaigns for the freedom of speech of others.

On Shakespeare it seems that great minds think alike Duncan. I'd been mulling my Julius Caesar quotation all day. Think it rather appropriate in light of the way I was treated. I honestly hadn't seen your posting before I put up mine.

I'll leave to idle speculation who Brutus is. Perhaps Brutus might realise that it is long overdue for them to be honourable in the light of recent events.

Duncan Borrowman said...

Bugger Brutus! Who is Lady Macbeth???

Toby Philpott said...

Now now Duncan. You know I can't possibly give you an answer to that question and hope to retain my Party membership ....