Tuesday 28 August 2007

Yahoo! Is Sued For Collaboration in Chinese Human Rights Abuses

I personally welcome the news that Yahoo! is being sued by the World Organisation for Human Rights on behalf of the families of Wang Xiaoning and Shi Tao. Report from the Guardian here.

I genuinely hope that their "not our problem" attitude is duly punished. They collaborated by turning over information to the Chinese authorities which they knew would have resulted in the persecution of particular individuals.

I await the results of this suit with interest. Should bring a whole new meaning to Corporate Social Responsibility inside Yahoo!

I hope WOHR wins and Yahoo! are made to pay a stiff price for their moral cowardice.

2 comments:

Mountjoy said...

Good news on Yahoo and they should definitely rip up their CSR policy document. I have to admit that I gave up on Yahoo as a search engine ages ago.

Tristan said...

This is good.

I hope it wakes up other companies (ie Google and Microsoft and probably others).