Saturday 21 July 2007

"Good Morning Prishtina"!

It's been a great time here in Prishtina. I've hardly had a chance to pause for breath as quite a few of my mates in international development are here working either with EU projects or for UNMIK.

Wednesday night reunited me with a Bulgarian friend, Dimitrina Karayotova, who I had the pleasure of training and coaching in her home country back in 2000. She's now working for the Kosovo Trust Agency, a body tasked with privatising many of the state owned enterprises in Kosovo.

Last night my friend Jim Duncan rolled in from Croatia where he's working on an EU project with the Ministry of Trade and Industry helping them to develop their SME policies. Jim and I worked together several years ago in both Chengdu and later Nanchang, China. We met up with Mike Mann who worked with us in Nanchang on the EU-China Enterprise Reform Project.

I got an early morning call to meet Jim and we went off to the Phoenix Bar near the UNMIK buildings to watch New Zealand beat Australia in the Tri-Nations Rugby. Then I met up with another of my China friends, Bill Cox and his wife Julia for lunch. It's all been go since I got here and I had to take an evening off to recover!

I'm also been well looked after by my local colleague Halit, who I will be sharing the pleasure of delivering the management development training next week in Mitrovica. I have to say that so far, working here in Kosovo has been a surprisingly very pleasant and positive experience. Long may it continue!

No comments: